· Cancer Prevention: Almonds are low in saturated fat and contain many other protective nutrients - calcium and magnesium - for strong bones, vitamin E and compounds called phytochemicals, which may help protect against cardiovascular disease and even cancer.
- · Good For Heart: Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, the same type of health-promoting fats as are found in olive oil, which have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease.
- Lower Cholesterol: A study shows, a diet containing almonds and other nuts, plant sterols (also found in nuts), soy protein, and soluble fiber (in high amounts in beans, oats, pears) reduced blood levels of all LDL fractions including small dense LDL (the type that most increases risk for cardiovascular disease) with near maximal reductions seen after only 2 weeks.
- Protection against Diabetes: Lessening after-meal surges in blood sugar helps protect against diabetes and cardiovascular disease, most likely by lessening the increase in cholesterol-damaging free radicals that accompanies large elevations in blood sugar. This is one reason why low- glycemic index diets result in lower risk of diabetes and heart disease. Almonds appear to not only decrease after-meal rises in blood sugar, but also provide antioxidants to mop up the smaller amounts of free radicals that still result.
- Lowers Risk of Weight Gain: Even if most of us know that almonds should be avoided whenever one takes up a weight loss program, as these particular aliments are overloaded with calories and fats, a recent study showed the opposite thing: that almonds must not be overlooked in a diet as they are very beneficial and help people shed weight. The research was conducted by a team of experts at the Purdue University and funded by the Almond Board of California.
- Prevent Gallstones: Gall stones are defined as the stones which are formed in the Gall bladder. You can find two types of stones in your gallbladder. Soak 8 to 10 almonds in water. Crush it to a fine paste and eat it in the morning on an empty stomach. The gall stones are resolved in a fortnight.
- Remedy for Anemia: Almonds have an extremely high nutritive value since they contain copper, iron and vitamins and are hence used as a remedy for anemia.
- Help With Energy Production: Almonds are a very good source of manganese and a good source of copper, two trace minerals that are essential cofactors of a key oxidative enzyme called superoxide dismutase. Superoxide dismutase disarms free radicals produced within the mitochondria (the energy production factories within our cells), thus keeping our energy flowing.
- Improves Digestive System: Almond oil also possesses laxative properties and helps to produce soft stools and avoid any other problems of the digestive system.